vrijdag 9 juli 2010

Huge hoard of Roman coins found on Somerset farm

The largest single hoard of Roman coins ever found is Britain has been dug up at a farm near Frome in Somerset. A total of 52.500 bronze and silver coins dating from the 3rd century AD were found by Dave Crisp, a hobby metal detectorist from Devizes, Wiltshire. The hoard also included the largest set of coins minted by the self proclaimed emperor Carausius ever found. Crisp first dug up a fingernail-sized bronze coin only 30cm below the surface. when he dug up a dozen coins more he stopped digging and called the experts. When the experts continued digging they uncovered a pot bellied pottery jar stuffed with the extraordinary collection. How the collection ended up underground remains a mystery but achaeologists believe they must represent the life savings of an entire community. the hoard weights 160 kilos and wouldn't be easy to recover from the ground at all. no individual could carry the hoard on its own, so experts believe that the pot was first dug in and then filled up. The coins are likely to be declared treasure and could be worth up to 1m pounds.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2010/jul/08/hoard-roman-coins-somerset

Such an amazing find! I love such news articles because they are so extraordinary. When I read things like this I question myself how they did things back then a lot. Like how the hell did they build pyramids, nobody knows. Also, everytime I think: now everything is allready found but new things are being found still. I still wonder if Crisp will get any money beside credits. If I had found anything like this I would not rest until I would get my million. I would find it unfair if the museum is going to be a milion pounds richer because of the effort of David Crisp

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten